Martial Applications of Tai chi.
Most people who learn tai chi initially do so for health and relaxation.
But what can be more relaxing than knowing that you can effortlessly defend yourself against bigger and stronger attackers?
“Martial applications” can refer to the martial techniques that are hidden in the tai chi routine. But tai chi also teaches us to be creative, and to liberate ourselves from form. Therefore, many of the martial techniques that we use might look nothing like the solo routines.
There are 3 basic categories of martial techniques:
- Ti and Da (striking with arms, legs, and other parts of the body)
- Shuai (throws and other take-down techniques)
- Na (joint control and pressure point manipulation
- Martial applications of the 24 form
- Throws / Shuaijiao Demonstration